Fall is the best time to get some home maintenance done before the days get a little shorter and a little colder. Although Florida is not known for its “harsh winters’ it is still better to take of these sooner rather than later to prevent the possibility of a major and expensive problem in the future.
Here are 10 home maintenance tips to get you ready for the cooler days ahead!
- Clean out the gutters and downspouts to make sure any fallen leaves and debris aren’t clogging up the area.
- Seal the windows and the doors to prevent cool air, rain, and even insects from coming inside.
- Finish up yard maintenance by trimming off the dead branches from the trees and bushes.
- Inspect the roof to take care of any loose or missing shingles and/or any additional damage.
- Check the smoke detectors and replace batteries if needed.
- Check the insulation in the attic.
- Check and clean out air vents to make sure they are running without any problems.
- Clean and reverse ceiling fans. Running ceiling fans counter-clockwise in the winter will help keep warm air down.
- Call a professional to get your heating system checked.
- Make sure the water from the gutters going away from the house to prevent damage to the foundation of the house.
Happy Fall Cleaning!